Sunday, March 1, 2009

Highlights

So what have I been up to since I last updated? I don't really even know. One thing fun at school is that we made mosaics...out of tiny paper (instead of glass!) We are studying the Roman Empire, and although I didnt know much about it before we started this unit, I am learning. It's been good for me. I decided like the day before that I wanted to do mosaics, and so I spent every free minute the next day cutting construction paper into a million pieces. But it was so worth it and the kids had a lot of fun making their mosaics. Aren't they beautiful? Oh and last week Julie and I ordered water. I know that doesnt sound very exciting or blog worthy, but believe me it was!! Julie called the number and after repeating "iki tane su istiyorum lutfen" (i want two things of water please) like 5 times they finally understood what we wanted. We were quite pleased with ourselves and went about our evening. Within 30 minutes the door bell rang, and then the madness started. We both started running around looking for money, trying to remember what to say to the man, buzzing him in, etc. He brought us our two containers of water and I asked how much, he told me, I paid, told him thank you, and went to shut the door. THEN he started speaking all this Turkish and pointing at the containers. I finally figured out that he wanted the 2 empty ones in exchange for the new ones. Well we still had a little bit of water in one of them, so I tried to show him that we wanted to keep them. He didnt accept that and kept speaking Turkish to me. We finally found this one container (no telling how old/dirty it was) that we could pour the water into, so we could give him his 2 containers! I was trying disperatly to get the pump off so I could pour the water and also laughing hysterically at the same time. Julie was like "what are you doing? just pump it in there!" So then I started pumping like a crazy woman, as hard and fast I could. We finally got all the water out and gave the man his container! He thanked us and left....we fell on the floor laughing at how ridiculous it was and how dumb that guy must have thought we were...running back and forth from the door to the kitchen, trying to save the water and keep his container. And then the door bell rang again. It was our dear water boy with a brochure about the water, his explanation was of course in Turkish - to which I just kept responding...tamam, tamam (okay, okay). ...even though I had no clue what he was saying. Anyways, we now have good clean water :)

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Jules, I love this story :) . my roommate in Turkey spoke perfect Turkish, so i always cheated when it came to these little tasks. you're gonna be a pro at the whole "water thing" pretty soon! love you : )

Bonnie said...

hilarious.