I really enjoyed being town in Selcuk this weekend. But there are about 4 things to do there...visit the ancient town of Ephesus, see the ruins of Artemis' Temple, go to the Virgin Mary's House and attend a carpet presentation. After we had done all of this, we still had about 2 hours before our bus left. SO our tour guide asked, "maybe you would like to visit a leather shop?" We shrugged and said SURE!
We arrived at the Leather Store and were greeted with a glass of apple tea and shown to a room filled with about 50 chairs and a stage. A man then came out and welcomed us to "a fashion show of all the fine leather i sell right here in my store. please sit back and enjoy". Next thing I know the lights go off and the show starts. When I saw the first model walk out on stage I lost it, and seriously laughed for the next ten minutes. There were so many things that were out of control...like the models making eye contact with us, making Julie go up on stage, the music, and the fact that they put on this entire production (music, lights, wardrobe, etc) for us. HAHA it was seriously so funny. I have posted a video that doesnt do the experience justice, but shows you a little bit of what it was like.
After the talent show the we went into the Leather showroom. It was huge and full of leather jackets, pants, shirts, wallets, purses, etc...you name it...it was there, in leather! I dont really wear leather and everything was way out of my price range, but I thought I would at least browse around. I made my way over to the purse section and found a really cute purse (I actually need another purse here). BUT it was 250 euros, which is over $300 (aka not even an option). The man saw me looking at it and told me he would give it to me for $250. I told him I was just looking. About five minutes later he came over and told me he could make a deal, and give it to me for $175. I just shook my head and told him it was too much. He asked what I would pay and I told him I couldn't spend more than $100 dollars. He laughed, told me I was crazy, and walked away. I was okay with that...I did like it but didnt have to have it AND I cannot justify spending more than $100 on an accessory. By this time the Jantz' had finished shopping and so we made our way out to the car. As I was stepping into the car I heard the man calling, "Lady, Lady...$100 US dollars." I look at him, and think to myself "why not?". And so I bought the purse. When I got back in the car, the tour guide asked how I became such a good barginer. I guess my summer in China taught me more than I realize :) It was a spontaneous buy, but I am really pleased with myself and love my new purse.


3 comments:
that sounds histerical! I love the new purse by the way :)
wow. simply wow.
lol... haggling.. gotta love it, its the way of this side of the world!!
Post a Comment