Monday, January 19, 2009

transportation

Considering my city has over 17 million people living in it, getting around can be rather complicated. But I am slowly learning all the many ways - bus, minibus, boat, metro, the tunel, taxi, cable cars, and personal cars (my favorite ha!) Yesterday morning we went over to the Europe side for a meeting. Joan was kind enough to show Julie and I how to get there by public, it only took a little over an hour! First we took a bus to the Iskele (boat harbor), from there we got on a boat. Can I just say that I love riding the boat on the Bosphorous! Everytime I do I am just reminded of how awesome He is - what a wonderful creation we get to enjoy! Oh and on the beautitful boat ride we enjoyed a cup of salep - its this hot drink they serve that looks like glue but tastes like candy. It is so sweet and delicious and comes from the orchid plant! After getting off the boat we walked to the tunel and rode that up to the top of a street - from there we had another 10 minute walk and then we finally arrived! After our meeting we enjoyed a nice lunch and then walked around, it was such a lovely and warm day. We spend most evenings in our apartment, so I just enjoyed being outside and getting some exercise. Here is a picture of Julie and I getting on the boat to go back to the other side. Oh and they have this thing here called an Akbil - you put money on it and use it for all the different forms of public transportation. It is so handy and I love that I dont have to keep up with a bunch of coins.


2 comments:

Esther Chong said...

aww man i miss u so much juju!! u and juliejantz´ ipod!!!! i hope u´re doing great!

Pam said...

Hello Julianna...I'm not sure if you remember me or not, but I wrote you before you left for Turkey. I had gotten you name at the convention. I was there when you made your commitment. It was a wonderful sight. Just letting you know I am continuing to pray for you and my Sunday School class is as well. We attend Hephzibah Baptist Church in Wendell, NC. Please let us know any specific pray request you or your roommate may have. God Bless! In Christ, Pam Keatts