Sunday, January 11, 2009

here am i...

well this is my first post outside of the USA! i arrived safely on friday about 1pm (6am Eastern time). Since arriving I have been reminded of Dad's faithfulness to me...it feels so good and so right to be here. In all honesty this process has been a breeze (considering how hard it could have been) From saying goodbyes to the packing process, and from the airport farewell to the whole flying across the country thing!

I flew over with Selma and Julie, which I am so thankful for. I dont know what I would have done without them, especially in Germany trying to find our gate! Between the 3 of us we had 11 bags and they all came...which is just incredible. So after going through passport control and getting all our bags, we proceeded to exit the airport and a lady in customs stopped us.
Lady: Wait! Look at all this stuff. Is it all yours?
Me: Yes, it is all mine!
Lady: WOW...too much stuff! Do you have any electronics?
Me: Yes I have a computer.
Lady: What about camera?
Selma: I have a digital camera.
Lady: Do you have video camera?
Me: Oh no, just digital camera.
Lady: Oh okay, you may go through...
We are learning to celebrate the small victories: like exchanging money to buy a cart at the airport to carry all our luaggage, and finding the password to connect to our internet or even being able to unlock our apartment door (it can be tricky). And I have learned a very important word: teşekkürler - which means thanks! Even if I cant really communicate with them at least I can say thank you.

Oh and Julie and I have the most wonderful roommate...Joan, an older lady from Scotland! She is so kind and helpful, and I love her accent. I think of all these questions I can ask her, just so i can hear her talk! She is currently teaching the 3rd grade class, until I take over in February.
Well that is about it....once I get everything unpacked and my room straight Ill take pictures of my lovely apartment! It is so cute and I really like it :)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

glad to hear that things are so exciting! I look forward to seeing your pictures! Thanks for the invite to your house by the way, sorry I didn't make it. :)