Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Scottish Roommate

A few days ago the apartment telephone rang. Since I dont yet have a cellphone, it is normally a family calling to invite us over for dinner (which has been so wonderful!). So I walked into the living room to answer the phone only to discover the man on the other side speaking Turkish. I just listened for a second and then started saying..."english, do you know english?" Apparently he did not because He just kept on speaking Turkish. So I called Joan in the room, since she knows more Turkish than I do. And she at least found out that it was the man coming to repair the washing machine. A friend of mine suggested that since I love Joan's voice so much I should record her speaking, and so last night I did. This is a conversation she is having with the person from the school that is in charge of our apartment and maintanience. Its only like 30 seconds like and there is no video just sound.

As I have said before Joan is just lovely! She says things like, "Valerie will make you right." or "My Gitty Ant!" Last night she was making Julie and I omelets and Julie was saying that she doesnt know how to make an omelet on the stove. Joan said, "well how else would you do it!" Julie told her that she uses the omelet maker at her house. Joan just thought that was crazy, she said America does not know what "made from scratch" is. We started telling her about the show the Bachelor and she was amazed that such a show existed and that we actually watched it! hahaha. She helped me start my first load of laundry last night and then while I was on skype she went and took it out and hung it all up on the porch for me! She cleans all the time and is spoiling Julie and I. We are really going to miss her when she leaves!

No comments: