A few weeks ago Selma and I went to Chilis' for her birthday, it also happened to be July 4th. We met up with some other Americans that were going as well. When we arrived, we were shown to this upstairs room that had "Happy 4th of July" signs everywhere and American flags! We enjoyed a delicious meal (I think I ate an entire basket of chips and salsa all by myself) complete with unlimited refills. After dinner they told us they had a special dessert for us, and out they came with this cake that had sparkers and an American flag on it!! It was hilarious, and so nice of them to help us celebrate our holiday!

After dinner I was talking to the manager, he is a Turk but speaks really good English. I was asking him how he learned to speak so well and he told me that he had lived in America for the last 10 years. Well after many more of my questions, I find out that he not only lived in America, but he lived in Raleigh, NC and went to graduate school at NC State, my university!!! We talk some more about how he liked Raleigh, what beach he used to go to, etc and then he tells me that for 5 years he managed a Chilis' on Glenwood Avenue. I about fell out of my chair. I went to this Chilis ALL THE TIME in college, it is right across the street from Providence. I couldnt believe it, what a small world! To think that just last year we were both in Raleigh, and now we are both in Turkey. I am so glad he is here managing a Chilis in my new city!


2 comments:
wow that is crazzyy! i can't believe they had signs and flags and a flag cake for ya'll! in turkey!? thats so funny/great!
oh my gosh!! that is awesome jules. hahahahaha. thanks for sharing that story. you and selma are too cute.
Post a Comment