Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day in the City

Last Saturday I spent the whole day out in the city with a group of my girlfriends here. It was a day full of many "last" experiences. We caught the boat in Çengelköy and road it up the Bosphorus to a restaurant on the European side. Best Turkish breakfast ever. There are so many things I love about Sütiş:







  1. The View - this restaurant sits right on the Bosphorus

  2. Breakfast appetizer plates - cucumbers and tomatoes, honey and butter, kaymak (clotted cream) and honey, borek, olives and cheese, and fresh breads!

  3. Sütiş Latte - INCREDIBLE! This white chocolate latte comes in a tumbler type class with 3 beautiful layers of goodness.

  4. Menemen - kinda like an omelet but way better. They bring it to you in the frying pan they cook it in.

  5. Eating breakfast at 11am and knowing I will not be hungry again until at least dinner.

The pictures do not do it justice, nor my descriptions, but believe me it is awesome! After breakfast we walked along the water for about an hour until we got to Bebek - which is another one of my favorite parts of this city. (Istanbul is kinda like NYC, except that it has 11 burroughs). Anyways Bebek is this really cute part of town with a Starbucks that sits right on the Bosphorus...like you can sit and dangle your feet in the water. Lovely. After sitting outside for a while reading and getting some sun, we played Phase 10 for the rest of the afternoon. We played a lot of Phase 10 my first summer here - so it felt like a walk down memory lane.We caught the boat back to Çengelköy, where we ate Kumpir (loaded baked potato) and a Waffle. Other dishes I will greatly miss! Now I know what you are thinking, "There are waffles in America." But not waffles loaded with nutella and other creams, fruits, nuts, chocolate, and whatever your heart desires. Oh. my. gosh.


While walking to the bus I noticed that cherries were only 5 lira a kilo (about $1.5 for a pound). I have been waiting for the price to go down, and was thrilled to purchase some. It was the perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments: