Thursday, April 29, 2010

Kids Say.

One of my favorite things about teaching is the things my kids say. I will say it is annoying when I explain a situation or activity, and then get a million questions about what I just explained! At the moment it is not funny, but later it is. For example:
The other day I told the kids, "This afternoon they are going to be setting up for the school play in the Multi-Purpose Room, so you have to eat lunch outside." Immediately afterwards I hear a resounding, "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?"

And now for some funny/cute kid conversations I have had recently.

Example #1
Student: You know those blue sport drinks?
ME: Yea, like Powerade?
Student: Yes, that. My mom says girls are not suppose to drink them. But Brittany does!!
ME: Really? Well, when I was younger I drank them.
Student: That is not good (looks me over). That is why you are so short!

Example #2
I asked the kids if anyone knew how many states were in the USA.
Student 1: 50!!
Student 2: There used to be 51 until Texas left the US.
ME: No, Texas is still part of the US.
Student 2: Yea...but not really.
ME: No, Texas IS A part of the United States, right now.
Student 2: Okay (still not convinced)

Example #3
Last week I noticed a few ESL students writing homework like this:
Math - Complete Workshit page 89

Example #4
At recess, a pigeon was flying around with a nail stuck to his foot. The kids were trying to help him.
Teacher: Does anyone know pigeon? (looks at a student) Do you speak pigeon??
Student: No...I speak cat. (like DUH!)
They make me smile :)

1 comment:

Liz Polglase said...

SO awesome! I love the Texas one, I think I would be friends with that kid.