Sunday, February 28, 2010

Disasters

Over the last month the literature unit we have been doing in Language Arts has been titled: Disasters. Our reading stories have included Titanic...Lost and Found, Patrick and the Great Molasses Explosion, and Pompeii, Buried Alive. As well we have been reading about earthquakes, floods, and tsunamis. So we have been talking a lot about disasters and how they impact people and communites. We have talked about how there is always choas in the midst of a disaster and for weeks/months afterwards. As we have read we have noticed that although you can try to prepare yourself for a disaster there is not much you can do to prevent one from happening. I think one of the most interesting things we have observed in the amount of hope (in something) that comes out during or after a disaster. As the Titanic sank, the band began playing hymns. During the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, the people in Pompeii ran to the temples to pray. I remember after 911, churches being packed with people.

In the midst of so much pain and uncertainty, people desperately need hope. They want to believe it is all going to be alright. They want things to return to normal. They want food and they want to survive. But what they really need is hope. And the only true hope we can offer them is found in JC. Yes they need their physical needs met. Yes they need to be loved. Yes they need to know that others care. But above all they need the only stable and true thing in this world…a God who deeply loves them.

This whole thing with Haiti has really caused me to think about life and how hard it can be. I have been so encouraged as I live in another country, to see people from all over the world come together to help the victims. I have gladly purchased over $30 in songs on Itunes in support of Haiti Relief Work – my two favorite being "We Are the World" and "Come Together Now." They are constantly playing on my ipod. I think this is good and so important…for people to come together and help during a tragedy. But my hope is that we are offering them more than love and support, but hope in the Gspl.

On a lighter note here are some pictures from class on Friday. We created our own erupting volcano. They loved it and it was really fun to do together!

3 comments:

Life With Lucy said...

I'm currently imagining you singing "We Are the World" in my head. What a fantastic way to fall asleep!
Love you!
Hayes

Bonnie said...

thank you for this post.

lucky that your kids are learning from the subject, maybe because they are older. I thought it would be a great idea to do a disasters week talking about the different types of disasters and how to prepare to my pre-k class. one of the girls came in talking about having nightares about disasters. yikes. :)

Bonnie said...

p.s. I don't know where this name of creations came from ... haha I'll have to change that :) It's Bonnie