i have never been an avid coffee drinker. i didnt even start drinking it until college, and even then it was out of necessity. i needed the caffeine so badly because i would get between 4-5 hours of sleep a night. add that to the fact that I had little interest in any of my studies...and i just needed something to keep me alert and awake during class. since being here i have started drinking coffee a lot more. its SO COLD here that i constantly want some hot tea or coffee. and although i am getting used to waking up at 7am every morning, i am still NOT a morning person and so i need my caffeine to get me going.
unfortunately the coffee here is not too good. it kinda tastes like instant coffee so when i get the chance to have some good coffee its quite exciting. last night a group of us went to starbucks for some coffee and good fellowship. it was so nice to just sit and talk (and laugh and laugh...we do that alot here) with some great friends. no agenda, no expectations. just sharing life and enjoying each others company.
I have been reading this book by Sarah Lanier called Foreign to Familiar. It suggests the idea that every culture is either a hot climate culture or cold climate culture.
Hot climate Cultures value relationships and are big on including all people. They often communicate indirectly...they will say what they think you want to hear. And they find their identity in their family, tribe, etc.
Cold Climate Cultures value task orientation and need their privacy. They will tell you exactly what they think, not to hurt your feeling but to be honest with you. And they are very individualist.
Both Hot and Cold Climates have very different ideas of hospitality, as well as their approach to time and the planning of events. For the most part the Southern US is a hot climate culture and I am going to be moving to a hot climate culture (which I am really thankful for and excited about!) The only main difference is that the Southern US is more individualistic, we are very much into OUR rights and what belongs to us. As well we are okay to do some things by ourselves, such as shopping and watching TV. I am going to have some things to get used to when I move to Turkey. Apparently they will lie to you, instead of tell you they just don’t know an answer or don’t want to do something. I look forward to the challenge. But more importantly I look forward building relationships with the people there and sharing life with them. No expectations, no agendas :)


1 comment:
Julianna, Mark just read the same thing a couple weeks ago! I learned all about the hot and cold culture. I hope you're doing well!
Post a Comment