Sunday, August 23, 2009

Happyness

One of the many perks of being a teacher in Turkey is that I get lots of discounts (indirim)! I have this Teacher Card with my picture on it that lets me ride any form of public transportation for half price. While my friend, Liz, was here we toured all around the city. On our 1st day we went to Topkapi Palace - where the Ottoman Sultans lived in the 15th century. Anyways, I decided to see if I could use my teacher card to get a discount. I walked up to the window, showed them my card and told them I was a teacher. There was a lot lost in the translation, but I did understand something about it costing 10 lira, which is half of the 20 lira that my friend had to pay! I thought GREAT, and handed him my teacher card. He starting working on his computer, asked me a lot of questions (still didnt understand much), scanned my teacher card, and then took my money. Next, he handed me a MUZE KART. I was really confused but thanked him and walked away. Come to find out this MUZE KART gets me into all the Museums across Turkey for free, and it doesn't expire until next summer. Normally they dont give them to foreigners, its just for Turks. I think with my lack of Turkish, the man just felt sorry for me so he gave it to me. Whatever the reason - I am glad to have it, it has saved me a ton of money!

One of my favorite things to do in my city is ride the boat across the Bosphorus. All summer long there have been cruise ships docked in, sometimes up to 3 or 4 ships at a time. This always gets me so excited, because cruising is something my family and I love to do together. We have so many fun memories going to the Bahamas and Mexico. I like to look up the cruise ship's name online and find out where they have come from and where they are going next. Then I imagine what it would be like to cruise around this part of the world with my family! I sure hope I get to take at least one cruise while I live over here.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

hello greek islands next summer!!!

Anonymous said...

Katherine, I like how you think!